Monday, July 16, 2007

Poetry Train/Manic Monday

I've been so caught up in gradschool that i havent been posting on here, or participating in the poetry train. i decided to give myself a few minutes to play, and post.

today is my mother's 82nd birthday. WOOOOOOOOT MAMA!!! :) in honor, i wrote this for her. a little background; my brother, sister and i are adopted. while getting a physical to prepare for her honeymoon abroad, the doctor discovered my mother had a uteran tumor. so, instead of leaving on her honeymoon the day after her wedding, she was admitted to the hospital and the day after, had a hysterectomy. can you imagine that sort of trauma during what is supposed to be the happiest time of your life? but she and my father had an amazing kind of love, and my father was the most accepting of people. when told they'd never have children, he said, "Well, of course we will. We'll just adopt." And that was the end of that.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So, here is my poem to celebrate my amazing mother, her courage, love, and life.

Life's veins

Love is thicker than water
For that runs quickly and clearly through streams
And blood means nothing as it runs through veins.
Water and blood sustain life.
But love nourishes the soul
For it is love that connects people
Man to woman, parent to child.
No need to look to blood for reason.
Love knows not the bounds of gene and cell.
It binds the heart and connects the soul
One to the other,
A stream carrying us all through life's veins.

7 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

"Love is thicker than water
For that runs quickly and clearly through streams"

Really nice! Beautiful poem, and a very Happy Birthday to your Mom. Sounds like nothing could get in your parents' way.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I love this! And the background story of your parents is amazing and beautiful. I don't think The Tour Manager would have been so definitive about things; he'd have waited for me to make the decision.

Anonymous said...

"....Love knows not the bounds of gene and cell....."

You are quite correct, but then you knew that, right?
Thanks for this. My mother died in chilbirth with me, so I have always had an 'adoptive' step-mother. Nuture is the word! Nature works too, but nurture is the word.

T.A.Chase said...

Happy birthday to your mother, Loopy.

this is a great tribute to her. :)

Rhian said...

this is a great poem Loo - and the symbology of hands, which seem to show age most truthfully is quite nice. I llike the flow of this one as well as the wordplay.

Ann said...

Lovely poem. And Happy Birthday to your mom.

loopdlu said...

thanks to everyone for stopping by. i appreciate your kind comments. i gave the poem to my mother today. it made her cry. of course, most of my poems make her cry, but its more pride than anything. she's always been my biggest fan and cheerleader. (she's also a retired english prof, so i get a bit nervous having her read my work...especially the sensual parts!)

this pic is about three years old, but its me and my Mama...isnt she adorable???? :)
[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/loopdlu/Picture086.jpg[/IMG]