Sunday, May 27, 2007

Poetry Train/ Manic Monday

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Graduate

You walked out, in line with your classmates,
Your red graduate's gown flowing as you moved.
And you were so handsome, a young man,
Not really my baby anymore.
Your shoulders were back with pride,
Your stride mature and dignified.
Then you saw me, and stretched out that big, gentle hand.
I placed my smaller hand in yours, and we walked together
Side by side, in view of all there,
But you weren't ashamed of walking with your mother.
You stopped in front of my aisle, and leaned over,
Kissing my forehead, and murmuring,
"I love you mommy." And I cried.
My tears streamed down my face
As I tried to find my place with the family.
And I realized, they were all crying too,
Out of love, and pride, of the man you have become.

8 comments:

Rhian said...

i found this one especially touching Loo because i just watched one son graduation from College and my nephew graduate from High School. Defining moments, not just in their lives but in ours.

loopdlu said...

their special moments touch us, no matter how old they, or we get, dont they?

Rinda Elliott said...

I still have three years before my first graduates, but I could feel this. She's turning sixteen this week and I pulled out baby videos the other day. Goes fast. :)

R.G. ALEXANDER said...

I could see it clearly-definitely moving.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Gorgeous! Mine only have preschool graduations under their belts, but I think about the way all my friends and fellow moms reacted to #2 as she sauntered down the aisle, waving and charming, and I'm in tears all over again -- you nailed it.

With pride.

Ann said...

Beautiful poem.

Anna J. Evans said...

Sniff. I hope my little guy says that to me some day. He's three now and it's hard to believe his hand will ever be bigger than mine....but I know it will.

So great, I boo-hooed, but in a good way,

anna

loopdlu said...

thank you for all of the comments. i appreciate everyone stopping by and reading the poem, and leaving such kind and appreciative remarks. hope you'll come by next monday, too!